Tuesday, March 10, 2009

How to Spell Love

I've been reading some neat articles lately. This one tells the story of an older man who goes up into his attic to find a picture of his wife who recently passed away. He found a box of her things and inside was a journal written by their son when he was six or seven. He couldn't figure out why she would have saved the journal so he took it downstairs to read. He read a few entries and then went into his office and grabbed his journal for the same time period. He read an entry for June 22nd that said "Went fishing with Jimmy. Day was a total waste. Didn't catch a thing."
In Jimmy's journal for that day it read "Dad took me fishing. It was the best day of my life." It is so interesting to see the same event from two points of view. It illustrates a special fact. The way a child spells love is t*i*m*e. Time we spend with a child can be the most productive time we can ever spend. I am truly enjoying time with my grandchildren. My oldest grandson turned twelve last week. We all went to Joe's Crabshack and he ordered crab. He relished cracking the crab leg's to get the tasty morsels. He ate the whole thing and then ordered chocolate cake. When we were leaving I asked him if he had enjoyed the dinner. He said, "that was the best meal I ever ate." He loved having people who cared take time with him. A granddaughter came and played a card game. She is beginning to want to play games with the grownups. Another graddaughter wanted to play games on the Wii. A little granddaughter wanted to "fix us a meal " like in a restaurant and took our orders. A grandson wanted grandpa to take his picture with a Nerf dart on his forehead. We all laughed and enjoyed the picture. Another grandson gave hugs and ran off to play. I love seeing Grandpa with the little grandsons that are living with us. One he carries around on his shoulder. This brings giggles and squeals of joy. The little one has the biggest grin and will laugh at almost anything. Yes, love is spelled t*i*m*e. Time with our children.

2 comments:

Gretzbabi said...

I love this entry, you inspire me and show me how TIME can be succh a blessing for us all. What a wonderful time I have with my son, even in the hectic moments he calls for "Mom" to come share his wonders and I need to stop more often and go visit his world. Thanks you

mombeal said...

This one brought tears about the fishing moments. I just read my daughter's blog in Kansas and they thought she almost died yesterday. Oh how special these little ones truly are. Thank you for sharing your thoughts today. I needed to hear them. Love, Bev