Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Hangin" in there

I have had a quiet day today. I tended our 10-month old grandson while my daughter took the two-year old to a play group. The little one went to sleep and I did some computer stuff and exercised. I later brought up a box from the basement that had quilt blocks that were made by my great-grandmother. It was interesting to also find items made by both of my grandmothers and my mother. The most nostalgic piece was my mother's wedding dress--66 years old. There was a note explaining that it had cost her $5 and she had added lace at the neckline. It is in pretty good shape except for the lace on one shoulder. I'm going to have to consider some options to figure out what to do with it.
I made some vegetable chowder and it was fun to do some cooking again. I've been kind of lazy lately. Last night we went to dinner at Frank's brother's home in Kaysville. They have been doing a lot of yard work--they have an acre. It has a swimming pool, fire pit, gazebo, and a train that runs along the back of the yard. They have their own private stream too. It is a heavily wooded area in the middle of a subdivision. Their son and some friends came to prepare our dinner. Wow! I think they out did LaCaille. They had a written menu at each place setting. Appetizer--Red Thai Curry Crab Cakes. mmmm I would like to have had two or three servings of that. Salad was Baby Green Salad with fresh herbs, goat cheese and beets with a roasted shallot and garlic vinaigrette. The Entree was Seared Polenta with Roast Beef and Wild Mushroom Ragu. It consisted of sundried tomato and garlic polenta with cambozola cheese, prime rib filet, mushroom ragu on top of beet greens. The entree was about the size of a stack of ten fifty-cent pieces. Extremely good! Dessert was summer peach pie with vanilla bean ice cream. MMMMM. They made it right there. It was kind of fun to get pampered, but my son-in-law can cook just as well! I have enjoyed his cooking while they are living here. I have also been eager to get into some quilting. My new sewing machine looks pretty cool, but its going to take awhile to use it effectively. Until then I'll just keep hanging in there!

1 comment:

mombeal said...

Sounds like a scrumptious dinner. I'm glad you have yours out of the box. I'm still looking at the nice Necchi box. Tomorrow I will open it. Had a nice luncheon today with my sister and her husband and D. They are trying to keep the family history coming and it gets a little tough when the vicor won't let people copy it without his permission. Then when the church goes in and gives him a machine that makes the copies so much nicer and a lot of other great things, they can copy it, but that is all and no one else. Interesting how some people are, but at least they were able to at least get the copies made and so others can now read them. Anxious to see you tomorrow. Love, Bev