Monday, June 1, 2009

New Era

We have enjoyed reading the New Era as well as the Ensign for many years. Even though it is geared to teenagers, I still love the articles. The one I read today told a special story about an 11 year-old boy who was the youngest of a group of boys going on a hike down the Grand Canyon. His father was also in the group and kept an eye on him. As they continued down the boy became very tired and shaky. They took a lunch break about half way and he sank down gratefully. The break was short and when he stood up his knees seemed to lock up and he could hardly press forward. After a few minutes he felt his pack lighten. His father came up behind him and lifted the pack with his arm. They continued to the bottom and he was able to make the last stretch by himself. As a grown-up he thought back to that experience and likened it to the way the Savior lightens our load if we turn our lives over to Him. He lets us live our lives and make our own decisions. He lets the weight of the world gather on our shoulders as we face choices and circumstances that test our faith and dedicaation. Then, when we can go no further, He reaches out with his strong arm and lifts our packs so we can carry on. I am so thankful for these reminders of the love our Savior has for us. Today I am so grateful for the help and comfort I receive. My family and friends are the priorities that keep me grounded in the gospel because I want to always be with them. Today I ponder on the many blessings I enjoy because of my Savior. I hope you take some time to do that too, because I love you.

2 comments:

Gretzbabi said...

Wonderful story! I love the Erra but haven't had it for years, I should ge4t it. Thanks

mombeal said...

You always know how to lift me and keep me going. That was beautiful. Thanks so much. I went through the shed and found another full set of classroom books so I went back to Bennion today and gave them to Mrs. Palmer. She seemed surprised and glad. She was going to have to get on a student about something and she didn't want to. I was so glad to be able to go and leave. I saw Bethany and she was pleased and I was pleased to remember her. Going over all of the pictures gave me the heads up or I wouldn't have known who she was with her short hair. Thanks again for your uplifting story. Love, Bev